We’re Aggressively Seeking Collaborative Opportunities
Advanced Manufacturing + State of the Art Laboratories As the region’s center for education, medicine and business, innovation surrounds us. And as those in the know will attest, many of these innovations are applied to multiple disciplines right here in our backyard. It doesn’t hurt that our region is second only to the Pentagon in military presence and has the second largest concentration of engineers in the country. Robotics, modeling & simulation, fabrication, space travel… Even though we have them, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know the strategic advantages our location can provide.
► Strategic central east coast location offers logistical advantages for the movement of goods.
► Region is within a two-day truck drive of approximately 70% of the U.S. population.
► Accessible transportation infrastructure including the state-of-the-art Port of Virginia.
► Port of Virginia is only 2.5 hours to the open sea and has had no labor strikes in over 30 years.
► Hampton Roads is located within a Foreign-Trade-Zone.
► Union rates in Hampton Roads are only 5% (compared to U.S. average of 11.2%).
► Virginia is an "at will" and "right-to-work" state (Right-to-work laws allow individuals to work regardless of membership in a labor union).
► Workers' compensation and unemployment insurance are among the lowest in the nation.
► The unemployment tax burden is approximately 20% lower than the national average.
► Over 36,000 people are employed in production occupations in Hampton Roads.
► Dominion Virginia power offers affordable industrial electricity rates (6.5 cents/kilowatt).
► Numerous workforce development programs are in place to assist manufacturers in accessing a skilled workforce and the community college can customize programs to suit your needs.
► No tax on manufacturer's inventory.
HIGH TECH CENTERS
- The Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility Jefferson Lab
- NASA Langley Research Center
- Langley Full-Scale Wind Tunnel (LFST)
- Virginia Modeling, Analysis and Simulation Center (VMASC)
- ODU Innovation Research Park
- ODU Frank Reidy Research Center for Bioelectrics (FRRCBE)
- ODU Applied Research Center
- ODU Vision Lab
- ODU CEE Computing Laboratory (CEECL)
- ODU Center for Coastal Physical Oceanography (CCPO)
- ODU Maritime Institute: International Maritime, Ports and Logistics Management
- NSU Institute for Information Assurance Research (IIAR)
- NSU Center for Materials Research (C.M.R)
- NSU Bringing Education and Science Together (B.E.S.T.) Lab
- EVMS Office of Technology Transfer
- Wallups Flight Facility